San Diego Community College District
Instructional Lab Technician / Auto Mechanics
Closing Date: 6/12/2017
Location: San Diego Miramar College
Position Type: Classified
Applications are currently being accepted for Instructional Lab Technician / Auto Mechanics in the Automotive Department, located at Miramar College.
Under the direction of the department chair or assigned supervisor or manager, the incumbent will assist in the instructional program by performing complex technical work in an instructional laboratory environment in the subject of Automotive Mechanics.
Duties will include:
1. Oversee the operation and maintenance of an instructional setting in the subject of Automotive Mechanics; train and provide work direction to instructional assistants and student assistants.
2. Assist instructors, staff, and students in the use of power tools, scopes, electric testing meters, brake lathes, wheel balancers, hoists, sand blasters, hot tanks, and all automotive hand tools.
3. Prepare and issue tool sets for student use for each different repair job; maintain records of materials and equipment loaned to students.
4. Order, receive, catalog, and store all hand tools and equipment; maintain inventories, ensuring that adequate quantities are available for timely instructional use; mark equipment with approved identification.
5. Prepare all handouts and booklets used in class; set up automotive testing equipment for instructor demonstration and student laboratories as requested according to approved procedures.
6. Test, adjust, maintain, and make minor repairs on all equipment.
7. Maintain laboratory and/or storeroom in a safe, clean, and orderly condition.
8. Provide technical assistance in the preparation of specifications for equipment and material purchases; recommend selection of equipment as requested; may interview vendors to assess new equipment and supplies.
9. Serve as a liaison between the customer and the instructor to estimate repair work and prepare work orders; estimate costs of parts; schedule flow of work through completion; collect monies for repair work and deliver monies to authorized receiving officer.
10. Assist in the preparation of the laboratory budget; monitor budget expenditures.
11. Perform related duties as assigned.
Hours are Monday - Friday 40 hours per week. Selected candidate must be willing to adjust work days/hours based on the department's needs.
Please note that an employee may be transferred to any site at the option of the Chancellor.
Knowledge: District organization, operations, policies, and objectives. English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary. Federal, State, and local laws and guidelines related to the maintenance, handling, and disposal of hazardous materials and substances. General needs and behavior of students of various ethnic, racial, and cultural backgrounds. Oral and written communication skills. Principles and practices of work direction and training. Principles, practices, and procedures of Advanced Automotive Mechanics or Heavy Duty Diesel Technology programs. Proper operation of all shop equipment. Record-keeping techniques. Safety regulations involving the field of specialty. Technical aspects of field of specialty.Skills and Abilities: Assemble, maintain, and repair laboratory equipment. Assist students in understanding and applying basic principles the field of specialty. Communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Demonstrate competence in the field of specialty. Ensure the care and security of assigned equipment, materials, and supplies. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others. Explain work assignments to students. Issue and receive equipment and supplies. Learn and apply techniques of precise measurement and notation. Lift 50 pounds. Maintain records and prepare reports. Make simple arithmetic calculations. Meet schedules and time lines. Operate forklift and Heavy Equipment. Plan and organize work. Proficient use of word processing and data spreadsheets. Relate effectively with people from varied cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. Train and provide work direction to others. Understand and follow oral and written directions. Work cooperatively with others. Work independently with little directions.Training and Experience: Any combination or training and experience equivalent to: satisfactory completion of 15 semester units of courses related to automotive mechanics and at least two years of successful work experience in the field of automotive mechanics. ASE Master Service Technician Certificate preferred. The following experiences are desirable: experience with arc welding, fabrication, and torch cutting; experience in an instructional setting. The following certificates are desirable: Forklift Training Certificate; Medium/Heavy Duty ASE certifications; EPA section 609 mobile HVAC certification; EPA section 608 type II stationary equipment HVAC certification.
Range 23 ($3,608.91 $5,760.64) per month based on the current AFT Classified Unit Office Technical Salary Schedule
Initial salary placement is commensurate with related experience and promotional rules. The District offers a comprehensive fringe benefit package including employer paid: medical, dental, and vision plans; sick and vacation leave; and opportunities for professional development. Initial Salary Placement, Promoted or transferred employees will be placed as specified in the AFT-Guild, Local 1931 Classified Staff Collective Bargaining Agreement. This position is FLSA Non-Exempt and may accrue overtime. A temporary probationary period will be applied to the employee entering this assignment. The SDCCD Employment Web Page provides a link to employee collective bargaining agreements and handbooks, and more information about terms and conditions of employment to include salary and benefits.
To apply, visit: https://www.sdccdjobs.com
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency