George Mason University
Master Electrician – Hylton Performing Arts Center
The George Mason University Hylton Performing Arts Center—within the College of Visual and Performing Arts—on the Science and Technology campus seeks qualified candidates for a Master Electrician vacancy. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position will provide comprehensive stage lighting engineering, design, supervision and execution of stage lighting elements for all events at the Hylton Performing Arts Center. The incumbent will also be responsible for coordinating and supervising production stage technicians to meet artists’ performance requirements. Additional duties include:
- Plan, coordinate and execute lighting and electrical elements for Hylton events and adjunct activities; and work closely with the Technical Director, Audio Engineer and Stage Manager;
- Supervise lighting department; and occasionally lead supervision of crew in preparation for events, including the use of audio and rigging equipment, stage management and technical direction;
- Develop and implement the annual maintenance and inventory program of lighting equipment for assigned Hylton facilities;
- Assist Production Manager with preparation and monitoring of annual budget for equipment maintenance, service and repair;
- Participate in production meetings; coordinate electric department needs with other departments for effective overall management; and
- Provide instruction and/or mentoring for students with interest in stage lighting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of stage lighting control and dimming technology, technical theater, music, drama and dance idioms;
- Proficiency to meet lighting and electrical requirements of varied performance artists, musicians, dancers, etc.;
- Ability to set up, operate, and maintain complex lighting systems and configurations within a culturally diverse performing arts venue;
- Demonstrated live performance operation experience; and
- Significant demonstrated lighting experience or training.
- Undergraduate degree or certification in technical theater with training in lighting control and dimming technology.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 09598z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.