Exempt, part-time: Administrative salaried position, reports to Director of Finance & Operations
Hours: Monday through Friday, 50% time, daily/hourly, schedule to be agreed upon
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience
Summary: The Facilities Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the maintenance and repair of the building systems, including the custodial needs of the School, routine to complex maintenance and repair work in connection with HVAC, mechanical systems and equipment, fire protection systems, pools, building interiors and exteriors, all ADA, fire code and building code compliance, instructional equipment, furniture and furnishings, and grounds; custodial work; purchasing of supplies, and related work as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned)
- Responsible for campus safety and compliance with Town of Wellesley Building, Health, Water, DPW and other departments, as well as other inspectors and contractors for fire sprinklers, fire alarm systems, elevator inspections. Maintains records for safety, preventative maintenance and regulatory issues; reports safety issues to attention of Director of Finance or Head of School.
- Performs/oversees in-house maintenance & repair work including carpentry, plumbing & electrical.
- Determines need for outside contractor when complexity of maintenance/repair work or time constraints warrant it. Prepares specifications, identifies contractors, obtains quotations, discusses projects with contractors and oversees their work.
- Supervises Facilities staff and third party cleaning contractor. Sets up custodial and cleaning schedule and participates in keeping the buildings and grounds in a safe, clean, orderly condition.
- Develops a preventive maintenance program and maintains buildings, equipment, and furniture in good working order.
- Oversees maintenance of grounds and grounds equipment, and hires and monitors grounds contractors including snow removal, mowing, tree work among other things.
- Serves on the School’s Building & Grounds Committee and coordinated the expenditure of the School’s Building Reserve Funds (PPRRSM) with the Director of Finance and B&G Committee.
- Performs related work as required.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The physical requirements and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job, unless those accommodations would impose an undue hardship upon the School. The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts, occasionally works with ladders or a Genie lift and also works in outside weather conditions. The employee has to ascend and descend stairs. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform these essential duties as well as the physical requirements. This list is intended to be illustrative, but not exhaustive. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job, unless those accommodations would impose an undue hardship on the School.
- High school level education, including appropriate training, certificates or degrees in facilities management
- Experience with carpentry, plumbing, electrical, general repair/maintenance work, painting and cleaning procedures preferred
- ten or more years of “hands on” experience, “jack of all trades” a plus
- demonstrated lifelong learner with deep building trades experience
- Experienced department leader and manager
- Strong organizational skills required to complete tasks on schedule and to follow up as required
- effective communicator, both verbally and in writing
- supervises facilities staff and any temporary/summer maintenance and custodial workers
- maintains an orderly “work order” environment to track project to completion
Judgment and Complexity:
- Successful troubleshooter who anticipates problems and solutions, and can be flexible as necessary
- refers only unusual situations to supervisor
- work encompasses diverse maintenance, repair and custodial duties involving all buildings & grounds
- includes responsibility for purchasing maintenance and custodial supplies and parts
- work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Finance & Operations and Head of School, with significant autonomy commensurate with experience.
Special Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills:
- safety and compliance with regulations
- building mechanical systems such as fire alarm & sprinklers, HVAC etc,
- ability to exercise initiative in making regular repairs and doing preventive maintenance
- manual dexterity coupled with mechanical aptitude and skill in performing carpentry, plumbing, electrical and painting tasks, demonstrated competency by trade license or certifications preferred
- ability to work with and supervise third party contractors in more complex repair work
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse community, values collaboration, effectively uses computer technology, comfortable with written communication, budgets and record keeping.
- Work involves constant contact with other members of the school staff as well as students and parents
- Pitches in to support the needs of the whole school, not just facilities, reasonable and trustworthy
- Work also involves frequent contacts with vendors and contractors, in-person and by telephone, generally of a routine nature for the purpose of obtaining necessary materials or arranging for work to be done.
Tenacre welcomes candidates who will add to the diversity of our community and encourages candidates of color to apply.
Interested Candidates should submit their letter of intent, supporting documents including resume to:
Director of Finance & Operations
Tenacre Country Day School
78 Benevnue Street
Wellesley MA 20482
Please do not call. For more information about Tenacre please refer to our Website www.tenacrecds.org