The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the nation's leading orthopaedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopaedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopaedic program in New York City. HJD is consistently ranked among the leading orthopaedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient's ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopaedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Lead Electrician in the Engineering Department. To qualify a High School Diploma or equivalent and a graduate of a trade school required. At least five (5) years experience as a Lead Electrician, and must have excellent knowledge of electrical theory background. Experience in operating/maintaining electrical systems in a Medical Center or similar environment required. Must know and use the NYC electrical code and OHSA safety codes for hospitals. Ability to read and interpret blueprints. Must be willing to work overtime when deemed necessary, and have the ability to effectively respond to emergency conditions. Good written, verbal, and interpersonal skills with the ability to handle many priority objectives at one once with full regard to safety and code compliance. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff required.
In this role, the successful candidate under the management of the Operations Manager and general guidance from the Team Leader for Building Services; performs a broad range of electrical services for various hospital areas including clinics. Responsible for following procedures and techniques of the electrical trade throughout the Medical Center. Prepares work for repairs, maintenance and installations. Examines and tests controls, motors, switches and panels, etc., for hospital areas. Performs preventive maintenance on lubrication, cleaning and adjustments for all operating electrical equipment. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must know and demonstrate knowledge of the NYC electrical code and OSHA safety codes for hospitals.
- Responsible for ordering and maintaining inventory of electrical parts for the department.
- Studies blueprints and diagrams to ascertain layouts, location and specifications of items to be installed, and notifies his supervisor of any discrepancies.
- Tests, operates, maintains and resets fire alarm systems.
- Installs various types of electrical equipment conduits, electrical devices, motors, lighting fixtures and heating equipment. Replaces 110v receptacles, switches and florescent ballasts. Replaces light bulbs and tubes. Repairs light fixtures. Investigates status of equipment. Replaces fuses (low voltage). Checks outlets; trace electric circuits, etc.
- Responsible for understanding electrical symbols. Reads and writes electrical symbols. Accurately reads and understands all electrical drawing as requested.
- Repairs electrical equipment circuits and equipment. Dismantles electric machinery with tools and unsolders or unscrews wiring connections. Replaces defective mechanical parts, assembling components according to diagrams. Checks clearance of moving parts with precision gauges. Restores electrical connection to complete circuits. Installs new wiring and electrical machinery.
- Examines and tests such elements of systems as distribution panels, controls, circuit fixtures, appliances, transformers, ground fault detectors, static ground detectors, line isolation monitors and motors, to locate obvious faults such as blown fuses, shorts, circuits, broken wires, loose connections, worn-out parts and motor brushes.
- Isolates defects in wiring, switches, motors and other electrical equipment, using test instruments such as ammeter, ohmmeter, voltmeter, testing lamps, multi-tester, megger, current voltage recorders, polarity testers, light meters, electronic stethoscope and wattmeter.
- Inspects and tests electrical lighting, signal, communication, power circuits and equipment.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them in the performance of duties.
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.