APSCO is a pacific northwest leader in the supply of water and waste water Treatment equipment and Pumping systems for the municipal and industrial markets.
Position Description: Field Service Technician:
The skilled and knowledgeable Field Service Technician (FST) will startup, troubleshoot, and repair pumps and other mechanical process equipment. Responsibilities will also include maintaining fleet of electric and diesel engine rental pumps for APSCO Pumping Services. The FST will provide competent expertise in the face of operational problems. Specific duties will include repairing and installation of equipment, overseeing start-up and commissioning, conducting training and maintenance, and seeking aftermarket sales opportunities for the sales team. The FST will have access to all the resources of APSCO’s Team and Suppliers Product and engineering support. The FST will participate in continued training and education opportunities to broaden/enhance skills and services. The goal of the FST is to ensure that our customers receive the best possible service and support in our industry which results in satisfied customers and repeat business.
Knowledge of Centrifugal Pumps
Knowledge of Submersible/Immersible pumps and motors
Knowledge of Centrifugal and Positive Displacement Blowers
Knowledge of Progressing Cavity Pumps
Knowledge of basic electronics (including solid state, analog and digital circuitry)
Knowledge of troubleshooting techniques
Knowledge of pneumatics/ hydraulics a plus
Ability to identify and correct defective parts/ components
Ability to use precision instruments
Ability to use hand tools
Ability to read blue prints, wiring diagrams, and schematics and engineering drawings
Ability to test electronic equipment; identify and repair and/ or replace any defective componentry including but not limited to wiring, batteries, electronic components, etc.
Ability to troubleshoot to component level a plus
Ability to clean, test and calibrate equipment
Ability to insure that equipment functions to most current documented specifications
Ability to complete required documentation using business operating system, MS Excel, Word,
Powerpoint and OneNote, Quickbooks and Salesforce
Ability to perform other tasks as required
This position is responsible for commission/training, troubleshooting, problem solving, repairing, and maintaining equipment in a timely manner.
Perform a variety of electrical installation and maintenance work on electrical systems and equipment internal to supplied equipment and systems.
Install wiring circuits in accordance with specifications
Install switches, controls, and other electronic devices incidental to the installation
Diagnose, remedy, repair, and replace equipment and apparatus
Work from schematic drawings, diagrams, specifications, and code books
Utilize electrical measuring and testing devices
Utilize vibration measuring and testing devices
Troubleshooting of motors, variable sped motor drives, PLC’s, mechanical rotating equipment other metal fabricated equipment
Perform skilled mechanical work including PM’s and rebuilding equipment including pumps, blowers, vacuum pumps, polymer feed systems, dewatering equipment, diesel engines, TEFC and Submersible motors.
Troubleshoot, install, PLC and VFD brands include Allen-Bradley, Omron, ABB, Yasakawa, KEB, Siemens
Troubleshoot and interpret electrical schematics; write schematics and trace wiring to troubleshoot older equipment without schematics
Troubleshoot temperature controllers, thermocouples, solid state relays, heaters, fuses, motor drives, and motor contactors
Maintains work area in a clean and orderly condition.
Performs minor maintenance of tools, and makes minor adjustments to equipment operated. Participates and complies with all safety standards and training.
Operates forklift, crane and other rigging equipment
• Conduct disassembly, inspection, and repair of product at customer site required and at facility.
• Able to remain calm and even-tempered in the face of challenges, demands, deadlines, and work in a high-stress environment, with a focus on customer satisfaction and contractual relationship.
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks both in the field and in the office to support internal and external customers.
• Able to explain critical issues, and articulate the thinking behind recommendations.
• Must be good at solving problems through collaboration with others.
• Fill out job problem sheets to access issues accurately and timely.
• Report all departures from specification per Non-Conformance Report and assist in disposition to factory or contractor.
• Ensure accuracy and completeness of supporting documentation prior to sending.
• Maintain calibration of instrumentation of tooling.
• Maintain standards and procedural compliance.
• Advise supervisor of issues that affect project schedules.
• Proactively communicate project issues to management and sales team
• Provide feedback on project schedule, problems and tasks.
• Identify and support Continuous Improvement opportunities.
• Accurately and timely document all information required to provide objective quality evidence.
• Able to fabricate small hand tools or gages to facilitate repairs.
• Verify calibration of instrumentation prior to use and if accuracy is in question.
• Identify Safety concerns and follow safety requirements.
• Clear communication of safety, expectations, procedural compliance and technical issues.
• Ensure all Foreign Material Exclusion / Cleanliness concerns are addressed.
Skills and Abilities:
Excellent mechanical aptitude and electrical knowledge
Excellent problem-solving ability
Relates well with others and has knowledge of team-based work systems
Knowledge of 3 phase 480 volt systems and 120/208 volt systems, and low voltage control systems
Excellent reliability and attendance
Education and Experience:
Minimum 2-year degree in Electro-Mechanical Technology and/or minimum 3-5 years relevant work experience
Computer experience with PLC programming software
Lathe, Mill, and Welding experience a plus
Understanding of Ohm’s Law and other electrical theories preferred
Understanding Pump Affinity Laws, System Head analysis preferred.
Experience with electrical measuring and testing devices including oscilloscopes, volt and amp meters preferred
Experience troubleshooting and installing Human Machine Interface devices preferred; Brands include Siemens, Allen-Bradley and DSE.
Experience with electrical planning, building, and testing electrical panels and following electrical codes
3- 5 years field service
Mostly Outdoor physical activity is required, including lifting up to 50 pounds, twisting and pulling heavy equipment to assemble and disassemble, ascending/descending ladders and staircases, and climbing in, under, and around large equipment often located outside at waste
When not traveling to customer sites, the FST will be required to work in the shop as directed by management based on business need.
Customer owned pump inspection, tear down, and assembly, Rental pump check-in, service and repair.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Requirements: 50% travel, must have valid US driver’s License, pre-employment drug screening and random testing
Job Type: Full Time
Compensation: $38,000- $85,000 DOE
Benefits: Medical, Dental, 401K,
Location: Kirkland, WA: Greater Puget Sound