Under direction, the Electrician performs journeyman level work and is proficient in the trade. Maintains repairs, installs and alters electrical systems, equipment and fixtures. This position works form sketches, layouts or prints with latitude to determine materials and layout. All work is subject to inspection and review.
- Install, repair, and maintain electrical/electronic systems which operate on alternating or direct current circuits. Systems may include high voltage lines, switchboards, panels and gear, generator and prime mover controls, switches, meters and circuit breakers.
- Repair and maintain lighting control systems, alarm systems, motors, heaters and other apparatus utilizing electricity or its effects.
- Preventative maintenance on transformer vaults and switchgear for safety and power conditions.
- Repair, install and maintain fire alarm systems and devices.
- Test and maintain operation of emergency generators and transfer switches.
- May instruct and oversee semiskilled or unskilled workers.
- Other duties as may be assigned on both Chicago and Evanston campuses.
Minimum Qualifications: (Education, experience, and any other certifications or clearances)
- High School diploma or equivalent combination of education, technical training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired.
- Four year apprenticeship or five years job training and work experience at journeyman level.
- Training or equivalent work experience in electronics and related gear.
- Good working knowledge of standard practices, tolls, methods, and trade/safety of electrical maintenance trade.
- Good working knowledge of the National and/or Chicago Electrical codes, BOCA and NFPA.
- Must be able to work independently, problem-solve and utilize skills to complete multi-component electrical projects in a safe, quality and timely fashion under minimal supervision.
- Solid working knowledge of repair and maintenance of variable frequency drives.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- Some college level training and related work experience in an institutional setting.
- Good knowledge of state of the art electronics.
- Ability to deal with individuals at all levels in the university.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.