The Office of Arts & Cultural Programming (ACP) presents and produces dance, music, theater, performance and opera created by internationally acclaimed artists whose work advances the boundaries of the performing arts. ACP is responsible for The Alexander Kasser Theater and The MSU Amphitheater and all academic events held therein. The Master Stage Electrician supports all events throughout the year for both venues and reports to ACP’s Production & Facility Manager.
The Master Stage Electrician is responsible for maintaining the lighting inventory, preparing and implementing all lighting requirements for productions and events at The Alexander Kasser Theater and The MSU Amphitheater.
Major Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Preparation, hanging, connection and focusing of stage lighting fixtures, supervising all other Electricians, and working with the production team for both professional and student programming.
• Supervision, operation, inventory, repair and maintenance of theater’s extensive lighting inventory, multiple power distribution systems, 400+ computerized dimmer systems and related servers, including all stage lighting fixtures, cables, effects, power distribution, networking and lighting control consoles.
• Organization and purchasing of all consumables including lamps, color gel, gobos, and gaffer tape.
• Planning and implementation of the lights cabling and electric power distribution for each production.
• Documenting and tracking of all circuiting, addressing, and system configuration in keeping with each production’s stage lighting requirements.
• Execute patching assignments/circuiting based on production or event’s stage lighting requirements.
• Ensure occupational safety and health of workers, and make other operational decisions, as the head of the Electrics department.
• Manage, make recommendations for, and implement replacement, improvement and repairs to lighting and electrics inventory, as well as general upkeep of the Alexander Kasser Theater, its Rehearsal Studio, and the MSU Amphitheater
• Cultivate, schedule and manage freelance and student lighting technicians.
• Other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.