The Assistant Manager, Vessel Operations is responsible for efficiently managing vessel maintenance and related marine functions to provide consistent, reliable barge liner service.
The Assistant Manager, Vessel Operations is responsible for efficiently managing vessel maintenance and related marine functions to provide consistent, reliable barge liner service. The Assistant Manager supervises the barge crew, port maintenance personnel, and outside contractors to ensure efficient operation of vessel equipment and accomplish requirements for vessels arriving and departing from Jacksonville.
- Supervises up to four (4) employees and/or ILA mechanics to accomplish maintenance and repair tasks and related administrative tasks.
- Ensures a safe work environment is maintained around the vessels at all times.
- Maintains preventative maintenance schedule for all vessels. Generates and maintains maintenance logs and records. Arranges for third party contractors to perform maintenance. Supervises work crews and ensures that all work is done properly and completed in a timely fashion.
- Maintains inventory of replacement parts for the barges including lashing gear and ensures work areas are maintained in a clean, orderly manner. Ensures gear is maintained according to regulatory standards including maintaining appropriate records.
- Ensures vessel operating systems are inspected on a regular basis to ensure proper operation and safety of the vessel. Develops repair and maintenance plans to address identified deficiencies and ensures appropriate records are maintained. Systems include but are not limited to:
- Diesel-powered electrical generating equipment, switchgear & distribution systems;
- Electrical and electro-hydraulic ballast pumps;
- Electrical and mechanical winches;
- General lighting systems;
- Ballast systems;
- Hull and structure of vessel.
- Performs inspections of vessels which requires ability to climb ladders and to descend in and out of vessel voids.
- Directs the barge crew to accomplish tasks necessary to support the stevedoring operations. This includes removing and replacing bad trailer stands, repairing lights, moving ramps, etc.
- Schedules barge crew to perform arrival and departure requirements per established procedures. Ensures barges are secured properly and regularly monitors to ensure vessels are maintained securely while in port.
- Inspects vessel upon arrival and documents any damages. Details include:
- Prepare equipment for barge arrival, including pier winches, wires, lines, safety barricades and related equipment;
- Note barge’s forward and aft draft readings;
- Ensure that ILA line-handlers properly secure the barge at Trailer Bridge facility.
- Ensure electric generating systems are ready for operations;
- Maintains checklist for barges to identify areas requiring maintenance or repair. Assigns work and supervises barge crew to accomplish maintenance and repairs.
- Supervises barge crew in shifting berths of barges, performing all safety functions, including coordinating of assist tugs and handling lines.
- Inspects mooring lines, wires, pennants and winches for proper operation.
- Ensures barge safety systems, including navigation lights, day shape, safety chains and lifelines are in proper working order.
- Checks idle barges on a regular basis to ensure same are moored properly and inspects for deficient items such as navigation lights, securing lines, winches, etc.
- Assists the Manager, Vessel Operations in preparing the barges for periodic surveys and inspections by regulatory authorities, including ABS and the USCG.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists with other duties and projects as directed by the Manager, Vessel Operations.
- Analyzes data and creates reports using spreadsheets as needed.
- Follows written procedures as documented in the Trailer Bridge ISO 9001:2008 quality processes.
- Accountability for ISO 9001:2008 quality processes, including but not limited to: identifying problems; generating solutions; initiating corrective action to avoid recurrence of the problems; verifying implementation of the corrective action; controlling nonconforming product.
- Required to carry and answer company business phone 24/7/365.
- Capable of traveling for planned and unplanned Trailer Bridge, Inc. events.
- Evaluates and manages employee performance in accordance with assigned objectives and company disciplinary policy.
- Upholds company policies, and supports equal opportunity employment objectives.